ANZ: Bushfire appeal extended to ANZ’s global employees
FROM THE JUDGES:
A very impressive and holistic workplace giving response, including payroll giving, corporate donations, volunteering and in-kind support. ANZ demonstrated a commitment to put communities’ needs first and act flexibly in a time of crisis.”
RESULTS + IMPACT
- ANZ donated $882,200 through workplace giving (staff giving and company matching) to volunteer fire services across Australia, Australian Red Cross, Foodbank Australia, the Foundation for Rural & Regional Renewal, St Vincent de Paul Society and WWF Australia
- Close to $390,000 was raised from employees across the ANZ Group which the company either matched dollar for dollar, or double matched if donations were made directly through payroll giving in Australia
- Paid leave was given to employees who volunteered in emergency services to ensure staff were financially supported while they served their communities
- $1 million customer support package to those affected by the bushfires
- ANZ’s digital fundraising platform, ‘Shout for Good’, also facilitated over $2.6 million in donations during the Bushfire Benefit Concert
OVERVIEW + HIGHLIGHTS
- Established in 1835, ANZ is among the top four Australian banks and top 50 in the world. ANZ operates in 33 markets with a purpose to shape thriving communities through the priorities of financial wellbeing, environmental sustainability and housing.
- ANZ announced financial relief packages for customers affected by bushfires in QLD and NSW in September 2019. By mid-November, as fire conditions worsened, ANZ activated its second response, by encouraging donations to Australian Red Cross and Foodbank Australia through its workplace giving (wpg).
- As the wpg program was only available to permanent and Australian employees, it was quickly broadened to enable all ANZ employees (permanent, contractors) globally, across 33 markets, to participate.
- Non-permanent employees in Australia and overseas employees could donate to ANZ’s community partners through ANZ’s digital fundraising platform, ‘Shout for Good’, to ensure 100% of donations from Visa or MasterCard transactions would go directly to chosen charities.
- Over 50 ANZ employees volunteered to collect donations from the foyers of three of ANZ’s largest offices across Melbourne and Sydney.
- As Associate Sponsor of the Australian Open tennis championship, ANZ delayed the launch of its planned marketing campaign by one week as bushfires continued to affect communities. Instead, ANZ donated the significant prime-time television advertising space to its wpg partner, St Vincent de Paul, to help support their bushfire recovery and rehabilitation work.
- Watch the video