FROM THE JUDGES:
JB Hi-Fi is setting new standards for WPG by continuously reviewing and renewing its program.”
RESULTS + IMPACT
- 72% of 8,500 JB Hi-Fi team members participate in the JB Hi-Fi WPG program, Helping Hands
- In 2021, the company introduced a new WPG charity partner, Earth Squad that comprises “2040” and “Carbon8” and focuses on supporting practical initiatives that have a significant impact on the environment
- The new direction was in direct response to team member feedback that they wanted the JB Hi-Fi WPG program – Helping Hands – to help fight climate change
- In the first eight months of being appointed to Helping Hands, more than 2,500 team members have donated to Earth Squad and $137,651 has been distributed to the charity
- Despite the disruption of Covid-19, JB Hi-Fi and the Helping Hands committee found new and virtual ways to communicate the new focus
- The support is through practical action, positivity and hope that team members can make a real difference to the challenge of climate change
- Earth Squad will continue to evolve and support innovation through the rotation of charities within the category. Each charity will reflect one of the 6 pillars identified in the 2040 documentary as having the greatest impact on climate change.
OVERVIEW + HIGHLIGHTS
- JB Hi-Fi is an Australian and New Zealand retailer of consumer goods, specialising in video games, electronics/hardware and home appliances. JB Hi-Fi has 200 store locations across Australia, employing more than 8,500 staff.
- The Earth Squad category was created and launched with two partners. Social enterprise film house and their documentary – 2040 – was appointed for their work to discover six big game changing ideas, happening now, that offer the biggest impact solutions to climate change. They helped Helping Hands appoint the second charity partner, Carbon8 for its work to support Australian farmers with regenerative agriculture. Both organisations have visionary leaders that are helping raise awareness and deliver positive action on climate change.
- Earth Squad was launched at the JB Hi-Fi’s annual conference that brings together 450 leaders from across the business. This group are the key internal influencers, and their support has helped build the program momentum. Special screenings of the 2040 movie were held for all team members.
- In April 2021, the JB Hi-Fi store network celebrated Earth Squad with a national campaign that raised awareness of the new partners. A national farmers’ day encouraged store teams to dress up and promote Earth Squad charity partners’ efforts with customers. This helped raise an additional $73,042 for Carbon8.
- The Helping Hands donations have helped 2040 expand its Schools Action Toolkits that inspires young climate leaders and has helped 65 schools become sustainability hubs for their local communities.
- Helping Hands funding to Carbon8 is described as ‘magic drops of goodness’ that is helping the charity to thrive. They are now working with 575 farmers to support their shift to regenerative agriculture and reduce carbon emissions. They are piloting an online data capture system with select farming partners that will demonstrate other positive climate impacts. They have also launched ‘What if’ as an online communications forum for donors and farmers to share their stories of change.
- The engagement of JB Team members remains high. The creative talent of the team is celebrated in the Earth Squad visual identity – a custom design logo that was chosen from more than 26 designs submitted by team members as part of the launch communications planning and roll out. Communications across all social channels including Intranet, Yammer, and custom platform Backstage helped capture the hearts, minds and imagination of the JB Team.