7-Eleven Australia & AMES Australia
FROM THE JUDGES:
Love the Board involvement. Good participation rate at 33%.”
KEY RESULTS + FEATURES
- CEO & Board members are actively engaged and supportive of AMES activities
- Regular weekly communication to staff encourages participation in volunteering with AMES
- Increased volunteering participation rate to 33% through COVID
- Workplace giving for AMES is matched
- Dedicated community investment manager within 7-Eleven
- All employees are entitled to 1 day a year for volunteering
OVERVIEW + HIGHLIGHTS
- 7-Eleven is Australia’s third largest private company. The national office of 580 employees supports the 700+ stores in neighbourhoods across VIC, NSW, ACT, QLD and WA. The business is made up of more than 450 small family-owned businesses, many from multicultural backgrounds, who are proud to be part of their local communities.
- The partnership with AMES is helping migrant students learn and experience the context and language of the Australian workplace. It is helping AMES in their teaching of employability skills and is informing their work on major government contracts.
- 7-Eleven employees are involved with industry visits and attend AMES Impact Day activities. AMES staff participate in 7-Eleven group recruitment activities and this is recognised as staff professional development. The commitment to the partnership is firmly led by the 7-Eleven Chair who takes a personal interest in the program along with the CEO and senior leadership team. AMES brings important insights and learnings of multiculturalism that is a significant part of 7-Eleven’s business model.
- Virtual volunteering during COVID has been successful and has enabled an increase in participation and helped expand the volunteering to interstate teams.